Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Impossible Bag


A really great little story to go along with this bag. Some time ago I received an e-mail from a "stranger" who offered some fabric for the Darfur project. She described the fabrics as being from very high end fabric houses from all over the world. They were sample pieces from her husband's career as a fabric rep.
No need to feed me oysters or order the champagne. Just whisper "high end fabric from all around the world" and I'll melt shamelessly.
When I got the donation, I had to close my eyes between swatches and try to catch my breath. Many of the fabric care labels were attached to the samples and had unmentionably high yardage prices. As unattainable as $184.00 per yard. Words like "Jacquard woven in Switzerland".
So, today's bag is made out of ridiculously high end fabrics. Stuff that I imagine most of us would not afford for a casual bag. The content of these pieces is polyester cotton. The label address reads 233 Spring Street/New York, NY. Fool your friends into thinking you spent the weekend shopping in New York.
The flap is every possible colour available in that print, simply sewn together as patchwork. I love the effect. It has a great, earthy sort of colour combination.
Imagine our world if we could just see one another that way? All people in different shades. Shades of colour, personality, giftedness.
A beautiful idea and one that I see happen in real life when a stranger gives me a gift like this. When people rally together to support a cause.
Just bits and pieces held together. Tenuous. Strong.


Anyway...... for you... Special Price. On Tuesdays, I won't be charging $184.00 per yard. Besides, on this poly/cotton piece it's a mere $84.00 per yard.
Just kidding. Bids are open as usual until 6:00 pm.
Today is also National Be Nice To Everyone Day.
So, go to it.


24 comments:

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! I bid $50

gloria said...

can i buy the dog? looks expensive :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work Joyce....
KC

Ariel Gordon said...

Nifty! $55

jb said...

what a beautiful bag!!... love it! :)

Unknown said...

Do the bags still come with banana bread and a hug?

$1000

Ariel Gordon said...

Um, is that $100...or $1000?

Melanie said...

Holy smokes JWB is back!! That's a great bag!! Way to go Joyce! "It's gonna be worth it, it's gonna be worth it, it's gonna be worth it all, I believe it" - Rita Springer

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that really $1,0000??????? Awesome. The Banana Bread must have been wonderful! Or maybe it was the hug........

MK

it's a gong show... said...

HOLY CRAP JOYCE! That's one heck of a hug you must give ;)

joyce said...

oh Buddy. Is it good to see you- I'd love to stay and chat, but I've got some banana breads to work on!

Oh the humanity!!
Good, good, good people.
All of you. Thank you for all of your generosity.

Karla said...

Funny how National "Be Nice to Everyone" day fell after yesterday's circus. Redemption is everywhere and in everyone.

Anonymous said...

WOW Joyce what amazing work you do, I was going to bid on this beautiful bag, but I cannot compete with JWB. I'll have to wait for another bag.
Amanda

shaunak said...

A very beautiful bag, Joyce.

A very generous bid, JWB.

This is an amazing project...

Crystal said...

Holy crapola JWB!!!

That bag is gorgeous.

gloria said...

hail the conquering hero! HAIL the conquering HERO!

i LOVE national be nice to everyone day, its very lucrative for the darfurians :)

tanya said...

I think it's worth every penny JWB!

Anonymous said...

pins and needles....will Mr. Booth get the bag?!

:-)
Colleen

joyce said...

Well, we've still got four minutes to go and for just a one dollar increment..... Everything could change in an instant!

joyce said...

Well, in short order, all faith in humanity has been restored. JWB, it looks like I had better get baking... there is an "Impossible Bag" to fill.

Thank you so much. Your humility and generosity is, (and I am confident will continue to be); an inspiration to many, many people.

And many meals will be purchased as a result of you choosing not to spend this on a mall binge or a mini holiday.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

esther said...

WOW!!!
that's fabulas!!
it's a very beautiful bag :)

svea said...

wooo hoooo. so fabulous makes my heart happy and the precious people of Darfur even happier. bless jwb!
and joyce i like seeing your face in the north end of town, come by anytime and next time stay for coffee.

Roo said...

! seriously beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Joyce, Can you please hug JWB for us too??? I got goosebumps reading the comments.
~ Zaza's Mama