Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Family Tree

The place has been a little lacking in bag-giness over the past few days. That's why I'm posting the tree- thinking you'll all forgive me for calling in sick for the past two days.... I've been at my mother and father's house; trying to "look after them". My mother had a minor surgery on Wednesday, and I hung around the place, awkwardly setting the table, washing the dishes, fetching the cream for coffee.
I haven't slept over at ma and pa's for a number of years. And its been considerably longer that I've ever slept over there without an assortment of babies and children clamouring at and around me.
I liked it because it gave me the oppurtunity to enter their world; instead of imposing mine upon them. What I saw comforted and encouraged me. It reminded me of the roots that hold down my family tree.
Now, my parents aren't perfect.
And we're not the Waltons or anything.
But.
Here's what warms my heart.
When I was a child, my dad started every breakfast by pulling out his Bible and his monthly copy of "My Daily Bread" (a daily devotional). He sat in his spot and read the lot of it out loud to his family. Then he bowed his head and prayed a prayer of reverence and gratitude.
Every day.
And he still does.
He's eighty-six now. He and mom have been together for about fifty-nine years.
I loved being in their quiet, unhurried world, watching their routines and the simple but genuine ways that they care for one another. I love how sharp my dad's brain is, stroke notwithstanding.
~
I know that time is short; growing shorter all the time. I imagine how much I'll miss them. I know how incredibly lucky I am to have such strong and independent parents.
~
and that's a little about my family tree.
~
About the other tree: 8" x 10", four pockets, adjustable strap, lotsa sweet buttons.
Now I know that I generally post these photos in the morning, but this week has been a little out of the ordinary. I'll go ahead and publish it now (quick! before parent/teacher interviews!)
The auction on the tree bag will conclude on Friday, November 27, 2009 at 9:30 pm.
(ah, by that time I'll be leaning heavily into the weekend, full on appetizers and wine..........)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting a tree bag for a while, but was never able to bid on time. Here's to the first time, I'll start with $30

Kristy R.
(fellow teacher at your husband's school)

Anonymous said...

I bid 35 dollas!!
Cheeky Chelsea

Anonymous said...

You are so blessed to have both of your parents. Advanced age allows them to share their great gifts of experience & wisdom with you. So wonderful that you truly do appreciate & love them, & are willing to share your heartfelt insights with your faithful fans.
Always a fan
P.S.- Todays bag is a treasure!

RLE said...

I bid $40 - love this bag!

Anonymous said...

i bid 45$!!
Chelsea

tanya said...

A treasure for sure. $50.

joyce said...

RLE---- YOUR PAST HAS CAUGHT UP WITH YOU! (GVCC)

And lovely to see you all. I'm glad I "cheated" on the publish time. Gives me something friendly to start the day with.

And I think I recognize a certain "lady of the apple"? nice. Thank you.

Also.
I know I have said this before, but I'll say it again. I'm grateful for new names. Kristy. Chelsea. R.

Anonymous said...

Love the bag Joyce, love the story too. What a gift your parents have given you & you are doubly blessed that you appreciate it. I wish them a speedy recovery. BBNM

Heather Plett said...

Put me down for $60.

Anonymous said...

Joyce that is beautiful -- yes, the bag, too, but I'm referring to what you said about mom & dad! I'm with you on those feelings -- was lucky enough to take them across the prairies last weekend. Whole new appreciation...
Schwester mary

Janice said...

Oh Joyce, the bag, and the post, both beautiful. It is so nice to see you appreciating your parents and the time they have left. It is nice they still have their own place.

This year would have been my parents 60th anniversary. Dad is one of those rare men who outlive their wives. He is very sad and confused and would like to join Mom, but he is still pretty healthy at 89.

Anonymous said...

I'll go $65

Kristy