(copied from the WFP info e-mail)
Spread the word about hunger
Help us mark World Food Day this year as high food prices, dramatic increases in fuel costs, and profound changes in climate conditions have conspired to bring new dimensions of suffering and hardship to the poor, depriving almost one billion people of the food they need to live a healthy life. "On this day, we remember those who have lived with the ache of hunger, for too long . . . and who now need our help even more," said Executive Director Josette Sheeran. What is World Food Day?World Food Day is celebrated every year on October 16 to mark the day that our partner organization, FAO (the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization), was founded in 1945. FAO was the first agency created by the United Nations to address global hunger. Later, WFP was created to take on a specialized role in fighting hunger.
What you can do
World Food Day is an opportunity to learn about global hunger and join in the fight against it!
1) Learn about Hunger & WFP - Visit http://www.wfp.org/ to learn about our work -
Where are the hungry? Check out the hunger map -
Play Food Force, our computer game simulation
2) Spread the word - Become a fan of WFP on Facebook
- Watch our HungerBytes video competition and share your favorite video with friends
3) Help WFP in the fight against hunger
- Fill the Cup for a hungry person.
Make a donation.
- Play FreeRice, http://www.freerice.com/, to translate your right answers into rice for the hungry.